my Favorite Cinco de Mayo Recipes
With Cinco de Mayo coming up on Saturday, I wanted to share my favorite Mexican Cobb Salad recipe from my friend Pamela Salzman. It's easy to make and is beyond delicious! Pair this salad with my fresh juice margarita (recipe below) and you'll be set!
MEXICAN COBB SALAD
For the dressing:
- 4 Tablespoons cold-pressed, unrefined extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro (or more if you love it)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each*
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled or feta
- fresh corn kernels from 2 large ears of sweet corn, about 2 cups (Pamela loves raw corn in the summer, but if they're not super fresh, put the ears in boiling water for 4 minutes, cool and cut the kernels off the cobs instead)
- 2 ripe but firm avocados, peeled and pitted, cut into cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- To make the dressing, place all of the ingredients into a bowl or a screw top jar and whisk or shake to combine, stir in cilantro. Set aside.
- Heat a grill to medium. In a small bowl mix together paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Season chicken on both sides with the spice mix. Grill chicken until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Set aside to cool, then slice into 1” slices.
- Arrange the lettuce on a large platter and drizzle with enough dressing to coat lightly. Toss. Arrange the remaining ingredients in rows on top of the lettuce and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Nancy's Fresh Juice Margarita
- Juice of 2 Large Limes
- Agave or Simple Syrup
- Mint (optional)
Pour the lime juice, tequila, and agave or simple syrup into a shaker with ice. Shake it all up and pour over the rocks with a lime slice.
Optional: Add mint to the shaker & your glass.